Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Help! Help!

Ok, I need your help! I don't often ask anything of you, dear reader, so in this you MUST indulge me!! Alright, now that I've declared my need in glaringly dramatic fashion, I shall humbly present my request. What novels do you remember reading (and liking) in high school and why? I will finally be teaching full-time starting in January and the unit I start with is "the novel." I'll be teaching regular freshman English classes and the kids in there are predominantly 1) male, and 2) completely uninterested in literature. As I am an almost 32-year-old woman who loves literature, I'm having a little difficulty coming up with novels that they might possibly be interested in reading. I doubt that we'll have time to read more than one novel (I may do a class novel and have them pick their own for a second novel if time allows) and I have a few ideas that would be both convenient and obvious picks for a 9th grade novel assignment, but I thought I'd throw it out to you just in case you had some great ideas! So, let's hear it!! Thanks for your help!!

3 comments:

Kent said...

This may be out there, but have you thought about Dracula? It's a good book with a unique literary style. I didn't read it in high school, but I read it in my free time about that age. I think the guys would go for it and even might be happy about it.

Jessica said...

Michael Crichton's "Eaters of the Dead" (also known as "The 13th Warrior) was REALLY good! I didn't think I would like it but I did. It's "man-ish" reading, lol. It was like Beowolf from another perspective. It was cool.

Also, the "Andromeda Strain" by Michael Crichton as well.

Other than that I pretty much read girly books.

Bee-ryan said...

My favorite was "The Picture of Dorian Gray," by Oscar Wilde. I don't really like to read. Enjoying a book is quite an accomplishment.