Tuesday, November 22, 2005

My Birthday Trip to New Orleans with the Girls

Sunday started early with Becca, Grace, and Hanna arriving at my apartment singing a jaunty little tune just before 9am! After a fun ride to New Orleans, we drove around Metairie for a little while, looking for a place to eat lunch. We settled on Cane's and were soon joined by Roy! After lunch we took Veterans down to Canal on our way to FBCNO and on the trip, we were able to see a little of what we've only heard about on the news until now. It was quite surreal to see those houses with painted notices and eight-foot water lines. Here are a few pics:






We arrived at FBC to discover a dilemma. James Thiele and Sara Beth Gohaghan were supposed to be doing a little concert at FBC that afternoon, but the turn-out was slim, so they were debating on whether to do it or not...apparently us driving two hours to see them was a swaying factor and they decided to do an intimate little concert for all of us there on the platform. It was actually really neat! I really enjoyed their 'performances' and the message of hope they carried. They were there as part of a promotion for http://www.musicforthesoul.org/ which has put together a compilation cd called After the Storm designed to minister to those grieving in the aftermath of the recent devastation.

We didn't take pictures during the concert as that would be rude, but here are a few 'groupie' shots of me with James and Sara Beth:


James and Me


Me and Sara Beth

After the concert, we took off in search of a good dessert spot...just fyi, BOTH Cheesecake Bistros are closed!! (we tried) Here are a few pics that Hanna shot along the way:

Signs on the boarded up windows of the business right next to Emeril's DelMonico restaurant on St. Charles






under hwy 90...anyone interested? yeah, I didn't think so!

We settled on the Cafe du Monde in Metairie and so here are a few shots from there:


Grace after I 'got her' with a beignet blow--not to worry folks, she 'got' me first!


Me...talking in the picture!! OMG, I'm turning into my mother! ;)


Becca lookin' all cute in her new sweater


Roy is just happy to see us!


Hanna is demonstrating how to drink hot chocolate


Me and my birthday trip crew: Becca, Hanna, and Grace


Making 'fish faces' with the Cafe du Monde fish


Roy, Becca, Hanna, and Grace

I had a great time on Sunday--thanks girls! You made turning 30 somewhat bearable! ha! j/k--it's actually not been that bad. I think I've reached that point of acceptance...and age is just a number, right?

I still have pics from Saturday lunch with Jen/night at Mom's house that I need to post...just need to be sure about what Erica is ok with me posting before I do! So stay tuned!! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WE LOVE YOU BETH!! ans we had fun toooo!!!



♥ Hanna

Bee-ryan said...

Post the ones of Erica w/ the funny faces! Oh, and the one w/ the artwork by Damon! Yeah, I saw them!

Chuchey Dradey said...

Happy birthday!
I am glad to see some of my usual NO spots are still intact. I spent 3.5 years in and around NO at the NOBTS and actually met my wife there. Lots of good memories for me. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

glad to help and yes its just a number! the day was great! even seeing roy..haha. thanks for inviting us! we love you!!

becca

Chuchey Dradey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.