Thursday, November 17, 2005

Birthdays and Breaks--gotta love 'em!


Ah, one of the joys of teaching are all those great holidays! We are coming up on the first of the season...the blessed Thanksgiving week! :) As much as I LOVE these extended holidays, I absolutely dread the last day before the holiday! The kids tend to live in a sort of 'holiday mania' where they think the entire day should be 'free' for them to run around and be absolutely obnoxious! I do my best to keep them busy on these days so as to avoid the bizarre behavior that tends to get ME into trouble! Kids sneaking out of windows just to see if I'd notice and then being locked out of those windows by other students who find it funny! Kids deciding to make a 'donut run' in the middle of first hour and not bothering to sign out in the process...alright, maybe I'm having flashbacks to my time at Comeaux. I'm sure my current kids would never do those types of things! :)

As much as I dread the day-before-the-holiday antics, I'm a little more nervous about tomorrow. As you may be very aware by this point, I have a birthday coming up. Since the beginning of the month, I've had a little countdown on my dry-erase board and my students are VERY interested in the impending doom! Well, tomorrow is the BIG day--at least for them. This will be the last day that they see me before I turn thirty and I'm a little nervous! I do have a feeling that I'll be getting a candle or two, but it's the other stuff they've been talking about that's a little scary...Life-sized cakes with people (various students or other, more interesting types of people) jumping out of them [not likely] and then there's a whole group of girls who were very excited to point out that they now know exactly where I live! hmmmm... :)

Alright, I'm not scared!! I'm actually kind of excited. Their interest has been fun. I've always enjoyed my birthday and they don't typically 'hit' me so hard, so this year has been strange, but I've been blessed with some very sweet, caring students. So I say bring it on! I'm ready for it...and I'll keep ya posted on all the loot I manage to rake in! ha! ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon said...

I hope you have had a great birthday! Tell me what it's like to be 30,

Jonathan