Monday, January 17, 2005

An Everyday Adventure



You see before you my friend Jen. I embarrass her on a regular basis. I do crazy things like tell store managers that they have old sales flyers out that are misleading customers and have casual conversations in which I reveal secrets that I didn't even know were secrets until she gives me THE LOOK! She looks nice enough, batting those baby blues at the camera. But put a laptop in her hand, and she is a woman possessed! I spent some time this afternoon with Jen and I felt it necessary to tell my readers about our experience.

We had a leisurely lunch at Chili's and then had about 45 minutes to kill before I had an appointment to look at an apartment that I am interested in renting. That's when the OTHER Jen took over--I'm tellin' ya folks, there's seriously a Jeckyl-and-Hyde kinda thing going on here! We drive directly to CC's Coffeehouse (I think her car can get there on it's own!) and that's when her eyes begin to take on a different sheen. We walk in and I immediately head for the counter because the normal thing to do when walking into a coffee shop is buy some coffee, right? Jen is already light-years beyond that. She's scanning the place, panic oozing out of every pore--the place was crowded and she can't lock onto a wall table with an outlet (she's wireless now--a whole nother story that I won't even begin to tell you now--but the battery on her laptop is dead, so she has to plug-in).

After we make our purchases, I proceed to follow her around like an embarrassed 13-year-old while she inspects every possible location for viable options. She thinks she's located a customer who's packing up, but much to her chagrin, he's only just setting up! So we are forced to sit at a table with NO outlets while she eyeballs the customers, hoping to make one uncomfortable enough to leave. She proceeds to (loudly) complain about the people who are sitting at tables near outlets without laptops and how their should be a rule about sitting there if they aren't gonna use the space adequately, all-the-while staring down the fella who "took" the table she thought she had found. He even had the nerve to set up and then leave his stuff there while he went to talk to someone at another table! Again, their should be rules about this sorta thing!!

As I was in mid-sentence, she declares: "Someone is leaving, get your stuff!" and scoots over to the newly vacant table, seat still warm from the poor sap who gave into the pressure of her laser-beam-like glare. She is able to plug-in and we achieve euphoria at last! God's in His heaven, all's right with the world. But now she only has 20 minutes in which to tap into the sweet nectar that is the free wireless internet access of CC's Coffeehouse. Life is SO cruel!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This chick is gorgeous!