Sunday, January 23, 2005

$16 Socks



I was getting dressed for church this morning and, as I’ve been going through a sock shortage recently, I decided to wear the socks my brother-in-law just gave me. He works for a high-end sporting goods store and they were clearing out some of their stock, so he brought home some goodies. He gave me a pair of Patagonia cotton sport socks that had a price-tag of $16. SIXTEEN DOLLARS! I’ve never paid $16 for a pair of socks in my life!! But I’ll sure wear them if they are free! Here is how the packaging reads on a pair of $16 socks: “The comfort of organic cotton enhances these versatile sport socks. Made of 97% organic cotton and 3% Lycra spandex, they absorb sweat and allow your feet to breathe while maintaining their shape and color. The one-inch ankle cuff keeps the socks from accordioning down your ankle; the low-profile toe seam is hand-constructed for a comfortable, non-abrasive fit.” And you know how they feel? Like SOCKS! But I’m sure that, if I were an avid hiker who needed high-quality socks, I would understand that the expense is an investment in something that will aid my journey and make my life a bit easier.

I do the same thing with God. I have a personal relationship with the God of the universe—the maker and creator of all things; the original master craftsman. But I reduce Him to the genie-in-the-lamp, only going to him when I need a wish granted or a problem solved. On a regular basis, I regard him as one of my options when he should be my default. His Word ceases to become a “lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path” and becomes simply a good idea or a positive thought for the day. And I hate that I do that, because in this whole comparison between socks and God, I am the once-avid hiker who has seen bountiful evidence that an investment in Him will aid my journey and make life a little bit easier, no matter what the circumstance.

But the spectacular becomes common-place. The grace too easy. My sins not “bad” enough to bring me to a place of repentance. And then I find that it’s because I’ve quit the hike. I’ve kicked back and become a spectator. And it’s much easier to criticize when you are spectating rather than participating, so I watch what everyone else does. I evaluate actions and question motives. I become the Pharisee that Jesus so often rebukes.

So it’s funny but, as I’ve worn my $16 socks that were given to me, I’ve been reminded of the priceless gift that was given to me on a cross all those years ago. Whodathought? All that from a pair of socks!

3 comments:

Mrs. D said...

Great insightful, thought provoking post. Maybe I need to buy some new socks!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the boring comments made earlier. Maybe if I would actually read what you say I would find it more interesting. This is just what I needed to read tonight. Thank You!!!

beth hintze said...

thanks becca. . .