Saturday, January 29, 2005

The burning question. . .


Why?

This question has plagued me since I started working at HBCS and, seeing as I had my camera with me one day, I thought I'd write a post about it and open the floor for anyone who may have some input as to why this soap dispenser is not for antibacterial soaps.


a close-up

What does the dispenser have against antibacterial soaps? What have antibacterial soaps done to it? How would an antibacterial soap molecule hurt this simple, non-assuming soap dispenser? What might the manufacturers of antibacterial soap have done to the manufacturers of this soap dispenser to cause them to ban antibacterial soaps from being distributed in their dispensers? ;)

My mom says that my favorite question ever since I could talk (which was quite early, I believe) was "Why?" so I just thought I'd show you something that piques my curiosity. I don' t know if there is an answer that will satisfy me short of a comment by the soap dispenser manufacturer--hey, it could happen--so I just thought I'd send this out into the never-ending cosmos for you all to ponder as I do. . ..

6 comments:

beth hintze said...

Thank you, Brian, for the insightful comment. That biology degree really comes in handy, doesn't it! ;)

Mrs. D said...

And I thought I was OCD...............

George Pence said...

The reason that antibacterial soaps are not allowed in this dispenser is because of the law protecting endangered species. Helicobacter pylori, which causes peptic ulcer disease, has been nearly eradicated by the indiscriminate use of various antibiotics. A germ that once numbered in the trillions in lavatories all over America has now been marginalized and forced to seek refuge on tile grout and toilet seats. Some of the sinks that were once prime habitat have been turned into barren stretches of white porcelain. So, until the herds of Helicobacter pylori can be returned to sustainable levels, the use of antibacterial products in public lavatories has been forbidden.

Jessica said...

Interesting. I read your post yesterday and I had to immediately "google" soap dispensers that do not take antibacterial soap. I couldn't find anything. George Pence, how did you know this?

Jessica said...

Or did you make it up?

Anonymous said...

hey there hintze! this is Hanna! nice post! i must say just absolutely great! well e-mail those pictures :) have fun with ur next blog!