Saturday, January 07, 2006

food associations

I contemplated making chamomile tea earlier this evening and that made me think of Katie because I remember her drinking chamomile tea when she was pregnant and nursing David. That made me wonder who else I associate with various foods...and then it hit me--Blog Topic!! So here are some food associations and why they exist:

Erica::cheese--because the girl loves cheese
Kyle::chocolate cake--Kyle likes to bake and I remember him making a KILLER chocolate cake!
Mom::roast beef--Sunday lunches growing up (baked chicken and 'sticky chicken' also makes me think of her)
Dad::homemade cinnamon rolls (sourdough bread too) (oh, and sardines, and liver...Dad has some pretty strange food associations! ;)
Damon::vegetables--because he doesn't like them
Erica::green beans and corn--that's what she always picked when she picked out vegetables!
Katie::hummus--that girl makes some MEAN hummus!! :)
Glenn::chocolate Easter bunnies--the man is addicted!
Della::chocolate oatmeal no-bake cookies--because we made them all the time (ahhhh, the things we'd do to avoid studying!)
Jen::chicken shwarma salad at Zeus--because that's what she always orders
Joni::Hot Tamales--she had this candy dish of Hot Tamales when she lived in Baton Rouge and she never ate them. I never could understand how she could have candy sitting there and not eat it! That girl has some will power!
Bonny::chips and dip--her favorite junk food
Jeff::peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with homemade mayhaw or muscadine jelly--because he'd always come over to my apartment and make himself sandwiches!
Della::mom's homemade figs--because she says no one in California makes fig preserves like my mom (and I still have two jars that I need to send to her!)
Mickey::Big Red gum--he liked cinnamon. Cinnamon gum was the only positive thing that came out of that relationship! ha!
Erica::nachos--because nachos involve cheese and the girl loves cheese!
Joni::homemade chocolate mints--when we were just young-uns, we made mints for some youth group fundraiser and we thought we were SO on-the-edge b/c Mrs. Gloria used actual Creme de Menthe in the recipe!
Joni::Bishop's Bread--I love me some of her mom's bishop's bread! And apparently we were just lil' alchies in training, weren't we?! ha!
Brian::Secco-Bertani Valpolichella--just because! ;)
Mawmaw::Aunt Sally's Cheesecake--Good stuff!
Pawpaw::Wild Game Gumbo--I won't describe it--it's something you just have to experience!
Granddaddy::chocolate spread on sliced white bread--childhood memories
Granny::ponce--another interesting dish that is probably better left unexplained!
Aunt Debbie::flintzens--she makes great ones!
Uncle Donald::black coffee--he always allowed us the joy of getting him another cup of coffee--I was just glad he liked it black!
Phillip::Sonic Jalapeno Poppers--a memory from when I was living in Clute
Josh::steak fajita tacos from that hole-in-the-wall place in Clute--those things were GOO-OOD!
Mrs. Loretta::chicken spaghetti--she'd always make it for covered dish lunches at church
Ms. Jean::monkey bread--finally being a 'helper' at VBS and getting to eat the teacher's snacks!
Ms. Ouida::chocolate chip cookies--she always made great cccookies

I'm sure there are more associations, but I think this will do for now! Oh, and Ritz crackers and orange juice reminds me of the nursery at church...random, I know! I've got to keep it interesting!

7 comments:

Bee-ryan said...

Mmm...I'm hungry.

debbie said...

Come to visit Beth. I'll make some for you. And you can get that second cup for Uncle Donald!

katie said...

I'm hungry, too, now. The only problem is that it all sounds good. That'll be some kind of day today, if I can eat half of all of those things on your list I love(which would be possible!). Never had ponce.

Kyle's sick with the stomach flu as of this morning, so I guess I won't be making any food smells today. He was revolted by the pancakes I made for David this a.m. Oh well--guess no Sunday lunch here. I'll just read your blog and drool!

Anonymous said...

BETH!!! This is Josh. If you come, make sure its when i'm home. not because i'd like to see you or anything, but because flintzens are great and mom won't make them for me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mickie you're so fine.. you're so fine you blow my mind hey Mickie! hehehehehehehe That cracks me up.... Big Red... Love you girl...

Anonymous said...

Send those figs girl!! I'll make you some nobake cookies, or even better...do you remember those choc. chip cookies i made that had too much salt!!
-Della

beth hintze said...

yeah, I remember those cookies! ha!!and the funniest part was Jeff never noticed it! ha! ;)