Friday, June 03, 2005

NYC Trip: Day 7--The view from our apartment, Washington Square Park, 5th Avenue, and MoMA

Today was our last day in the 'big apple' and the weather was a little dreary. I wanted to feel grown-up and independent, so I spent most of the day wandering around on my own. I didn't take many pics, but I did include a few of the view from our apartment--maybe I'll get some of the inside tomorrow morning after we've cleaned! (It's not that messy, but seeing as we don't live here, our stuff is on top of the stuff that's already here.) Most of tonight's pics are from MoMA--The Museum of Modern Art. Going there today reminded me of my cousin Phillip and a big debate we had over what is art...I'm still not convinced Phillip, so please don't be mad at me if I poke a little fun at the stuff I didn't care for! ;)

We travel home tomorrow, so this is the last of the daily glut of pictures. I may still post a few as I continue to go through the ten-million I now have on my computer! I've had fun posting my pics and I hope you've enjoyed the little glimpses of our vacation! I've had a great time, and everyday life will seem a little dull now (all two days of it before I leave for camp) but it will be nice to get back to NOT being a tourist! I hate tourists, unless I am one...but I'm even tired of myself by this point! ;)

The little restaurants across the street from our apartment

1 comment:

Phillip Hintze said...

You know, I don't even remember exactly what the discussion entailed, but regardless - I'm almost positive that I was right.

Seriously, I think that the whole "art" thing is a little overblown. One view is that art is a way of either asking or responding to a question. My feeling on the matter is that you have to discern the intent of the artist. What is s/he trying to say, if anything?

Where do you draw the line? Is medium important? Is Britney Spears an artist? [I'm inclined to think "no" - but that's just because she's an untalented, overhyped, overinflated bimbo.] Is an exit door art? Why or why not, and who has the burden of proof? Who cares?