Sunday, July 09, 2006

My random thoughts on hammocks, husbands, and a trip to Lake Nelson

This was a great weekend! After camp on Saturday, most of our staff went to Mooresville, NC, to stay at the home of our own Christie Craig. Said home being conveniently located on lovely Lake Nelson in North Carolina (which I'm liking more and more every time I visit, folks!) It was beautiful and Christie's parents are most gracious hosts!! Within minutes of our arrival, people were relaxing with chilled drinks (Cokes, people...not THOSE drinks!!) , roaming the Craig's beautiful home, checking out the dock, and vying for the great hammock that was hanging gracefully between two trees. (I'll discuss the hammock in more detail in just a moment.) We were soon served hamburgers with all the fixins and had a grand ole' time just being together in a relaxed, home-y environment. During some casual tv viewing, it was discovered that I gave a decent back-rub (I'm being modest here folks, the praise was overflowing but I don't like to brag!! ;) and had many customers, but eventually it was time to hit the sack.

The next morning brought more incredible food, this time in the form of Panera bread bagels and freshly ground coffee, which was followed by more dock-lounging, card-playing, lake-boating, and general loafing. I really wish I'd brought a book! (I brought many books to camp and haven't cracked a one yet! I'm a little busy these days.) I left just before a very bountiful lunch was about to be served. Those Craigs...they know how to do it up right!

I wasn't able to stay for lunch because I needed to get over to Ridgecrest Conference Center to pick up my dear friend Emory. Emory went to camp at Ridgecrest last week with her church's senior high group and was supposed to return to Nashville on Saturday, but one of the middle-school chaperones backed out and she was needed to fill in. The middle school group is coming to North Greenville this week, so instead of driving home only to drive back again, she stayed at Ridgecrest and I brought her over to North Greenville. We had a wonderful late lunch at My Father's Pizza and coffee at the Dripolator in Black Mountain, NC, and then came back to North Greenville where we did a little laundry, had a little dinner, and spent a whole lot of time just catching up! We've both had pretty eventful summers, it seems--or maybe we're both just really long-winded--so there was indeed alot of talking, folks! But we're all caught up now and winding down for a long summer's nap...I don't know why but I'm feeling very narrative at the moment!

Anyway, that was my weekend. Full of fun and relaxation. Only three more weeks of camp left! It's winding down and that makes me a little sad...

As I leave you, I feel it necessary to talk just a moment on the subject of hammocks. I have always been a fan of the hammock. I don't know why, but they fascinate me. Perhaps it's the potential danger of sitting incorrectly and therefore causing acute embarrassment and potential bodily harm to one's self? Maybe it's all those slap-stick comedy routines involving unfortunate hammock incidents? I'm not sure, but I've always been fascinating by this lounging ensemble. Well, the fine folks who raised Christie to be such a wonderful woman also had the incredible foresight to invest in one said hammock! I must say that it was much appreciated by all who chose to swing in it's delicate embrace, myself being one such person. Alright, I'll quit with the Austenian dialogue. I loved the hammock! So much so, that I managed to take a lovely nap in it Saturday afternoon...well, lovely except for brief moments of fear when I opened my eyes to find Sarah Edwards standing over me with an evil glint in her eye and then later when she felt it necessary to take somewhat unflattering pictures of me sleeping in said contraption! I did get made fun of a little for monopolizing the hammock, but it didn't bother me one bit! It was a great nap!!

I have now decided that I need a hammock. I like them too much to allow this enjoyment to elude me. But in order to have a hammock, it is necessary to have two trees...and in order to have two trees with which to hang such a hammock, I need to NOT be living in an apartment...and to have two such trees would mean that I'd need to be living in a house with a yard...and having such a yard would mean one of two things: 1. I need a better job so that I could afford to hire someone to take care of said yard or, 2. I need a husband who can do the yard work (ok, I'd help!)...and bonus! HE could hang the hammock!!) So in summary, I have decided that I want a hammock and a husband to hang it...or a better-paying job! ;)

I managed to not charge my camera batteries, so I have no pics from the weekend but lots of other people took pics, so I'll try to nab those and play them off as my own a little later! ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great weekend you had! And seeing me was the best, right...right? :) Thanks for coming to get me and for the wonderful day we had yesterday! I've missed my sweet Beth!! You are such a treasure.

When you get married I'm going to buy you a hammock for your wedding gift. And I'll dance at your wedding. ;) tee hee hee

Anonymous said...

your weekend sounds just lovely. however i would like to point out that you have one more year with your horrible paying job before you can have your hammock. on the other side of things you can use this year to meet the husband who could hang your hammock as long as i am invited to your wedding. i dont mean to be boastful, but you know that i make that horrible paying job all worth while when you see my beautiful face in the morning! haha yes i know its a stretch.
becca lou- your favorite student of all times!

katie said...

I'd like to say that I can't wait for you guys to come! AND although we have a nifty, beautiful hammock beneath the dogwood tree in the back yard, near the roses and dahlias, I DO have APPROPRIATE lodging for Aunt Beth(hint hint!)....you WON't have to sleep outside! (although you may choose to when you see what we've got planned....[evil chuckle..:)]

Hurry up and finish so we can see you! And then we'll just get you a great job up here, where there are plenty of husbands(in ST. Louis)....and where we can see you any time we want!!!!

katie said...

ummm....that is, potential husbands to be snagged. I definitely didn't mean to imply that you should be chasing married men!