Saturday, March 04, 2006

My Deep and Ponderous Thoughts on...Toddler Toiletries

Perhaps it's been all of the daytime TV I've been watching this week, but my interest was recently piqued by the number of commercials featuring products for children that were just not around when I was a kid. The most intriguing have been the 'toddler toiletries' lines that seem to be popping out all over the place! (It's amazing how all these companies have their great ideas all at the same time!) Johnson & Johnson has Johnson's Buddies and Kimberly-Clarke has Huggies Clean Team.

In a recent release (I'm guessing more for stock holders because it was very much about the bottom line, if you know what I mean), ole Kimberly-Clarke had this to say:

Kimberly-Clark Corporation (NYSE:KMB) announces it is extending its successful baby toiletries into the underserved toddler market with the launch of Huggies Cleanteam bath and body products. The new product line, which features trademarked, letter-shaped characters called Alphamals, helps moms teach toddlers how to keep clean, while having fun at bath time, meal time, potty time, or on-the-go.


"With the launch of Huggies Cleanteam toiletries, we believe we will further drive category growth with exciting, innovative solutions that help moms teach their kids the importance of being clean, while having fun in the process."

You can read the rest of the article here.

The article for Johnson's Buddies is more of a press-release introducing the mass market to the wonders of their new product line. They use statistics to prove the necessity of this product line: "Bath time for toddlers is often thought of as a fun time for parents and kids alike, but in a new national survey, a surprising 54% of toddler parents do not view bath time as 'quality bonding time with my child' and nearly half cite styling a child's hair as most often 'difficult.'"

Johnson & Johnson had this to say: "Our customers have told us that JOHNSON'S BUDDIES products feel a real need for them... Our research shows, for example, that when babies become toddlers, parents put away baby shampoos and use shampoos that are formulated for adults, which can be inappropriate for young children. JOHNSON'S BUDDIES products give toddlers a line of bath and grooming products that are just right for them--and that's just right for parents."

Now I don't have kids, so maybe the claims of both companies are valid. Maybe kids need to learn how to have fun while keeping clean and that bath time has been lacking in those opportunities for parent/child bonding...but I have a few questions/concerns. And as this is MY blog, I guess I can voice my thoughts! :) So here we go:

1. I never realized that 'bath time' is a rough time! I thought little kids liked baths? I realize that some are scared to put their heads in the water (and my mom had a pretty good way of solving THAT little problem, right Erica?!) but I've done my fair share of babysitting and I have three nieces and two nephews...and bath time has always been a joyous time! The anguish typically came when it was time for the bath to end! Throw in some old plastic Mardi Gras cups and a little Mr. Bubble and we're in for hours of bathing fun!

2. Didn't they already have 'no tear' shampoos and 'no more tangle' spray? I know mom bought plenty of that stuff when I was growing up (I had rather long hair and I do remember a tangle or two in my childhood). Why is it now necessary to have foaming hand soap and 'bath mitts' (and FYI, the kid in the commercial with the bath mitt is a LITTLE cheeky for me--I'm all for gaining independence, but HE is a little mouthy!) When I was growing up, we used Dial soap--the GOLD kind--and a regular ole' washcloth...and we LIKED it!!

Now I may be a little paranoid about current marketing techniques, but doesn't this all seem like a grand scheme to eke even MORE money out of those well-meaning parents who think that good parenting means giving their child everything that these companies say they need to have to be happy and healthy?! Feel free to leave your own thoughts on the subject! I'm curious as to what others think of these amazing new products. ;)

11 comments:

Jenny Hintze said...

Jackson LOVES Buddy Soap. We asked him one time what he was thinking about and he said, "All color buddy soap." Huge fan.

Bee-ryan said...

Well, who likes taking a bath when they are a kid from the country? I didn't! I wanted to stay outside and play in the dirt more. As a matter of fact, I still hate bathing. I don't think a fun soap can change that. I think it all goes back to the parents...yes I said it: "The Parents." As I am sure we have all noticed, parents let their kids get away with more and more because they don't want to see mean, and they want to be "friends" with their children. I see there are lots of commercials for one product with the slogan: "You can do it, with Kandoo!" I'm thinking, you should do it before you get a whoopin! Now, that would be a great marketing stragedy. Another child product that I don't like is Pull-ups. I'm sure it is tres convient if you are a parent, but to me, it is just a diaper. Put some real big-kid underwear on them and see what it feels like to poop or pee in that. That'll speed up potty training real quick. As for the "mouthy" kids, someone needs to slap them now. I have zero tolerance for that. The sad thing is that parents listen and obey a child that's 3 years old (or whatever age). Now, let's think about who pays the bills, and who has spent more time on this earth. I still think that kids should be seen and not heard. They haven't earned the right to express their opinion yet.

Kristy said...

Wow...Bee-ryan, got kids?! I agree on a few points, but really...seen and not heard?

beth hintze said...

Well Kristy, fortunately for us, Bee-ryan does NOT have kids...and it's better for us all that he keep it that way! This is our long-time friend Brian. He has a bit of an opinion on everything...and he's not afraid to let you know it! (He isn't quite this angry in person.)

Uhm, and yeah...that's for that little tirade Brian! Glad to know you don't feel the need to hold back! ;) I'm sure you'll make a terrific uncle some day soon!! haha!!

Bee-ryan said...

Yeah, I noticed I kinda went off on that one. I just had a lot of examples! I had to revisit to see if I got any negative feedback. I just came back from WalMart, and today I'm thankful that I don't have a screaming child in the store.

Bee-ryan said...

Eugh...I'm one of those people that have an opinion about everything? Not politics, I avoid that mess. I hope, at least, that I'm entertaining.

Kristy said...

I'm pretty opinionated too...so I'm right there with you! You should see how how I've ticked people off on my playgroup message boards! I really just didn't know that my opinions were so volatile...

Perhaps I'll run into you one day at Wal-mart...just look for the TWO screaming kids & hurried mom! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm on my way out at lunch to get some Bath Buddies because my daughter has a fit when we go near her with moisturizer - and I mean a screaming tirade that you could not imagine. They have a mosturizer that's mixed with soap for the bath and that's pretty useful. We tried lots of other things in the water but they don't work. So, I think it's definitely profit motivated but I also think they're developing things people can really use.

Jenny Hintze said...

As for kids not having earned the right to express their opinion yet....

My three year old has taught me more about generosity, encouragement, unconditional love, patience, joy, humility....than any other person on the planet. I certainly value his opinion. And he is able to express his opinions with more love than I witness in many adults.

Brian, your thoughts will shift if you have kids. In the meantime, perhaps you should resolve to not speak with so much authority about things that you know so little about.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, Beth. Although I AM guilty of buying a few of these newer items myself (just out of pure curiosity - like the teething noonies), I think that some parents NEED to buy all sorts of "specialized" products to make them feel they're doing a better job at raising their children. In some ways, it's like trying to keep up with the Joneses, kiddie-style. I hope that makes sense to someone else other than myself.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and even though Brian's not a daddy, I think he's right about the pull-up issue. My grandmother always said that that was the worst invention ever. I believe it. It just teaches kids that they can mess their pants even when they're bigger. Why should being able to walk around and being able to pull up your own pants stop you from pooping in them? I was advised to take one good week, put them in underwear and let them learn to "feel" when they have to go. But, hey, that's just me...