Saturday, December 09, 2006

Apparently, the world no longer lay in sin and error pining

Il Divo was on Oprah the other day performing the song, "O Holy Night." I wasn't paying much attention but I was following the song in my head and I thought something sounded off, so I backed it up on my handy ole' DVR and watched a little more carefully. I was right. Something WAS missing! They jumped from the dear Savior's birth straight to a thrill of hope with nary a pause! I was prepared to rip Il Divo a new one as I googled their lyrics to the song but I found this:


"O Holy Night"

[Urs:]

O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth.

[David:]

Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth.

[Carlos:]

A thrill of hope, the weary soul rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

[Sebastien:]

Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!
O night divine, oh night when Christ was born; etc.


So apprently it's Oprah who doesn't like the idea of recognizing that the world lay in sin and error pining, till He appeared and the soul felt its worth. Hmmmmm...how interesting!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know this is a year late but I just now rewatched the Christmas episode of Monk from 2005 - I think. The captain was singing O Holy Night. He sang, "Long lay the world in sin and sorrow pining." That has a meaning much different from "sin and error" - I love that song and I am so pleased that you noticed the Oprah thing!
Thanks