Sunday, August 13, 2006

one can only hope...

As I drove through the booming metropolis of Lafayette this afternoon, I marveled at all of the new construction around town. It's amazing how much things can change in the matter of a few months. Apparently, we have people with lots of money (or debt--my theory) who are just aching to move into high-end apartments, condos, and planned communities as well as spend oodles of money in cutsy little boutiques and expensive restaurants. I even hear we're supposed to get some sort of organic/whole food's-esque market. With all of this development, a small hope began to grow--more of a dream, really. I dream of a day Lafayette is home to a Panera Bread restaurant!! I've had the opportunity to dine at Panera Bread on a few occasions, but I fell in love with and promptly became obsessed with the place while in South Carolina this summer. Sadly, I have perused the site and their is nary a PB in sight! The closest in Houston--and while I love it, four hours IS a little far for lunch! So, my hope is that some ambitious local entrepreneur finds the same delight and seeks to open his or her OWN Panera Bread! I don't have the money or desire to do it myself, but I would surely be a dedicated customer!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've passed one every day going to and from work for the past 5 years. I've never eaten there. If you'd come visit, we could eat there and go to the cult church ;)-

debbie said...

There is one in Pearland. If you would come visit, we would take you there.

Jenny Hintze said...

There's one about 40 minutes from us and I've never been. I think it's a little too dainty for Phillip.

Am i there yet? said...

I passed one on our way back from Gulf Shores! Although, the trip back was such a blur (likely from thoughts of returning to school dancing in my head) that I'm really not sure which state, let alone city, it was located in. By the way, how is it different from other sandwich shops?

beth hintze said...

i love how so many of you just like to rub it in that you have a Panera within driving distance! ;) and yes, I do need to go visit several of you! not just because you live near a Panera Bread...although that is a great bonus! ha!

why do i love Panera, you ask? because I'm a sucker for great bread, delicious soup, well-concocted sandwiches, and tasty salads! it's along the lines of McAlister's or Jason's Deli, but it's more of a bread-based place and I like bread! and thanks for that info, kyle...i'm sure Glen would love another adventure in restaurant investment. As far as dantiness is concerned, i'm not an accurate judge. I kinda like the color scheme!

Chuchey Dradey said...

I think the one Jenny is talking about is only 1 mile from my place. It is really good and the coffee is great... Phil ought to try it sometime.

katie said...

I'm sure this conversation should be done by now, but I really have to say that I think Phillip would like it. (hope I spelled your name right....) It's got a Barnes and Noble vibe, only with tons more seating(a lot of it cushy) and great food!!!!I mean, really, I think it's the best "fast food" on the planet(our locations we like all have drive-thrus...in fact, I think we'll haVE Panera tonight for supper :) since we'll be next to one in Carbondale....not rub it in).
Also cool: there's no people trying to "rush" you out; you can have a 2 hour conversation with no restaurant-staff-stiff coming to nudge you out with a bus-cart and dirty looks.